So for our anniversary we decided to go out and explore Arkansas...Hot Springs Arkansas to be exact. This is the bridge that you cross to go from Tennessee to Arkansas over the Mississipppi River.
This is just one example of the big churches you come across in the south.
And this is what we found when we got to Hot Springs, Arkansas. It's the boyhood home of President Bill Clinton...interesting! We also saw Clinton's house that he grew up in. It is a small white southern looking house that someone else now lives in.
Hot Springs Arkansas is a little town that was settled back in the 1800's and was known for it's hot "magic" healing waters. We watched a documentary that said that back in the 1800's, doctors would send their patients to bath houses (pictured above) so they could soak in the hot springs and get rid of their diseases. People really thought this worked. The bath houses were known for their massages back in the 1800's, hot spring baths, and all kinds of spa treatments. I was surprised to find out that spas actually existed way back then.
This is another old building built over 100 years ago.
The coolest thing about this town is that it is a national park. So when you're in their little downtown area on main street, there are hiking trails that lead up to the top of what they consider to be their "mountains"(much smaller than Utah and Idaho mtns.), but it was still a fun hike. You could even hike to hot water springs. This is us on the trail.

Us at the top...it is really green here!
On the hike there was a fountain where they've made it so cold spring water comes out so you can get a drink. Tyler and I filled up our water bottles. There were seriously people who had come from hours away with tons of milk cartons and huge water jugs to fill up on the spring water. They say they drive here every couple of months to fill up because they love the taste of the hot springs water. Tyler and I thought it tasted fresh but kinda weird!
This is an old army/navy hospital built over 100 years ago.
Get ready for what you see behind me...it's a huge truck that can turn into a boat. Tyler and I were convinced by the tour guides to take their tour. It was pretty sweet though because they toured the city and then all of the sudden we drove right down into a lake and the truck had a propeller on the back, turned into a boat and we drove around on the lake.
This is an old army/navy hospital built over 100 years ago.
Get ready for what you see behind me...it's a huge truck that can turn into a boat. Tyler and I were convinced by the tour guides to take their tour. It was pretty sweet though because they toured the city and then all of the sudden we drove right down into a lake and the truck had a propeller on the back, turned into a boat and we drove around on the lake.
Then there was the wax museum. I don't think it was one of the nicest wax museums around because parts of it felt like a haunted house. Some of the wax people were falling apart. But here's ELVIS!!!
And of course President Obama. I think this wax figure makes him look really old. Even though I've noticed Obama has a lot of gray hair lately.
And of course President Obama. I think this wax figure makes him look really old. Even though I've noticed Obama has a lot of gray hair lately.
Bill Clinton's wax figure is pretty good, but what's up with Hillary?!?


















Wow has it really been three years? I remember you coming to my house those nights putting together that little book!! Cute pictures and how fun that you guys can hop in the car and take some road trips!! I can't wait until you move back to Utah!! love ya!
ReplyDeleteLooks like so much fun! wow, how time flies!! Nate and I will have been married 3 years too in October! Hilary Clinton's Wax figure doesn't look like her at all!
ReplyDeleteJILL!!!! For years I've been asking everyone what you're doing, how you're doing, etc b/c I lost my phone (with your number) didn't know if you had a blog, couldn't find you on facebook blah blah blah. I'm glad you found me! Man I've missed your stories and how many laughs we had. Now I can at least blog stalk you. wa-hoo! You guys look busy and happy, yay for you!
ReplyDeleteHappy Anniversary! It looks like you had a fun and interesting trip. I love that you went to a wax museum! Doesn't the time fly by so fast! Before you know it will be thirty years!
ReplyDeleteJill, guess what? I've totally been to Hot Springs. My mom and I went there last year to teach at a scrapbook convention. So funny! Congrats on three years!
ReplyDeleteJill it was so good to talk with ya and your summer forcast was wonderful and the tornado story was crazy and hilarious i wish i could have been there during the dramatic parts like you drving home...lol
ReplyDeleteAwesome, I found your blog. The weird thing is that I met Bill Clinton a week ago at a U2 concert. No joke.
ReplyDeleteIt's crazy you two have been married three years. Congrats.