Friday, March 12, 2010

The Tale of The Old Bottle of Ketchup

I learned a valuable lesson a few weeks ago...never trust anything out of a 19-21 year-old boy's fridge! Yes I am talking about the missionaries and yes this is about a dumb bottle of ketchup.




This tale begins when Tyler and I needed ketchup, but didn't have any. Right after I had made dinner, Tyler and I discovered we were KETCHUPLESS and the food we were eating that night only would taste really good with some delicious ketchup to top it off. So like an idiot...I suggested that Tyler call the Elders (Who by the way live in our apartment complex) to ask them if we could borrow their ketchup. They offered it up freely and Tyler went and got it.

When Ty got back he happened to look at the bottle and it said it expired back in 2006. WHAT! That's four years ago. Tyler was still considering whether or not he should eat it...he was that desperate and I was like NO WAY! To make a final decision who better to call than Mom. She happened to be at a BUNCO party with all of her friends, so she had them vote. The women said "NO DON'T EAT IT!" While the men at the party said, "Eat it, you'll be fine." So what did Tyler decide to do??? He decided to try a little. After trying some...he decided against it.

Now fast forward one month later. On this particular night I had made some yummy scalloped potatoes and I love to eat them with...you guessed it...KETCHUP. Thinking that we had thrown out the "Elders" old 2006 ketchup when we had bought a new one...I sprayed the red stuff all over the potatoes and started to dig in. It was a very interesting taste, but I kept on going. As I ate...in my mind I kept thinking...wow pregnancy is even changing my taste buds. Finally after I had devoured the potatoes, I mentioned to Tyler that the ketchup tasted weird. His eyes got big and he started to laugh. It was then that I realized that the 2006 Ketchup was on the table and I had just ate it. I was soooooooooooo mad and Tyler just kept laughing.

We had bought a new ketchup bottle but somehow threw it away and kept the 2006 bottle instead. I thought for sure that something really bad was going to happen...food poisoning...maybe even death! But in the end, I was perfectly fine with just a really bad taste in my mouth.

So the lessons learned in this story are as follows: 1) never borrow ANYTHING food related from missionaries. 2) If you get desperate enough...and your ketchup is four years old...eating some will not kill you, but could be extremely disgusting.

7 comments:

  1. That is really funny. It probably made you sick just thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that was a great story, and i laughed too, but probably would have laughed harder hearing you say it. Now your baby is going to come out with an allergy to ketchup...jk

    ReplyDelete
  3. poor girl..it must have been even worse being pregnant. After seeing the missionary apartment though you guys were brave to ask them. haha. Next time maybe Nate and Cami would be a better option :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man. . .that is disgusting! I am not even pregnant and it made me dry heave ;) Super funny though and I bet you will laugh about it for years! Good thing you lived to tell about it, ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey! Just wanted to let you know that I turned my blog private. I didn't have your email to invite you as a reader. Email me at casiblanchard@yahoo.com and I will send you an invite! I hope all is well with you and the baby!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jill you are too funny!! What I want to know is, why in the world the missionaries had ketchup from 2006?? That is really gross. I'm glad you lived to tell the tale!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ba ha ha ha. I love (and need) a good Jill story every now and then. You totally made my day! Hilarious.

    ReplyDelete